Vopak Americas (Houston)
In Houston, the WeConnect team works closely together with their partner Junior Achievement and 7th-grade students of the local Deer Park Junior High School.
Learning more about the global economy
The Global Marketplace program is designed to provide the students with practical information about the key aspects of the global economy, what makes world trade work, and how trade affects the students’ daily lives. With this program, the Vopak WeConnect team wants to broaden their horizon and improve their skills and competencies together with sharing personal experiences with working in a global environment.
The program focuses on the following subjects:
- “X” Marks the Spots (students begin to recognize that trade with other countries affects their daily lives)
- To be the Judge (students learn that nations use several methods to increase their trade benefits)
- Let’s make a Deal (students identify and understand the business practices used in other countries)
- People Power (students discover how the movement of people facilitates international trade)
- World of Words (students discover how advances in communication and transportation have improved productivity and facilitated world trade)
- World of Money (students learn that countries have different currencies with different values)
The project was carried out and completed early 2017.